Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives. Working closely with our partners, we align interests to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities. Established in 1993, we work with the ACDI/VOCA family of companies to make agriculture work better for people. We offer a focused and diligent team of locally based experts and international advisors who work with our partners to reach common goals.
About IGNITE Project
The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE works with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE also strengthens the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices their way of doing business. Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE identifies key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities are targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
Scope of Work (condensed)
The Tanzania Milk Processing Project (TMPP) implemented by Heifer International runs from November 2019 to October 2021, which is building on the progress made by the East Africa Dairy Development Project (EADD II). The project aims to increase household incomes among 50,000 smallholder dairy farmers through improved milk productivity and quality, and better access to reliable, high-value markets while ensuring processors have access to an increased supply of high-quality milk. One of the project’s main goals is improving gender equity by increasing the number of women suppliers and shareholders in Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) with a target of reaching 30% women farmers out of 50,000 farmers: and improving women decision making at the household and FPOs. Heifer expects to use gender mainstreaming as a tool to foster and enhance dairy businesses including milk collection and processing (Heifer International has been collaborating with 4 dairy processing companies).
The Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct a desk review of existing TMPP- and institution- related project documents and reports, such as gender analysis or value chain analyses, to identify strength and gaps in gender mainstreaming within the institutions. This review will be somewhat limited in scope to focus on TMPP and institution-related documents, rather than broader contextual or national-level documents.
- Conduct consultations with key staff, selected partners to assess the achievements and identify the gaps.
- Carry out consultations with relevant government, private sector staff, partners and other key actors including academia, etc.
- Develop narrative for the gender strategy, based on the Tanager IGNITE gender strategy template. As a component of this template, the narrative should include 2-3 overarching priorities for the companies as they work with TMPP.
- Draft the gender strategies in alignment with the following:
- TMPP Theory of change
- Present the draft gender strategies to Tanager, Heifer International and private sector staff, review comments and submit a final strategy.
To view the full details of Tanager’s Request for Proposal: Consultancy to Develop Gender Strategies, including how to apply, please download and carefully read and fill out the attachment below (available in Word and PDF versions).