Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE will work with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business. Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Potential clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
Tanager is seeking a Deputy Team Leader with technical expertise in nutrition-sensitive agriculture who will be based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya. The Deputy will provide technical oversight of the IGNITE technical experts to ensure high-quality and timely technical deliverables to IGNITE clients so that they are equipped to achieve sustainable gender and nutrition outcomes through agricultural growth. The position will combine managerial and technical thought leadership responsibilities. Specifically, this position will technically contribute to strengthen the work of IGNITE to deliver nutrition-sensitive agriculture and Social Behaviour Change (SBC) to IGNITE clients. This position reports to the Team Leader.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Management responsibilities – Approximately 60%
- Manage the IGNITE technical team and any relevant consultants working with IGNITE in accordance with sound management practices, Tanager’s employee manual, and Kenya labor laws. For the IGNITE technical team, these management responsibilities would include conducting performance evaluations and relevant promotions and salary adjustments in accordance with Tanager’s employee manual.
- Review and expedite IGNITE deliverables to ensure timely delivery of high-quality work to IGNITE clients. This review would include, but would not be limited to, reviewing for technical excellence, clarity and conciseness, and strategic alignment with the client’s and IGNITE’s larger goals.
- Build and manage relationships with certain IGNITE clients and other stakeholders within the IGNITE project.
- Manage the Tanager components of the learning agenda process, ensuring that technical experts participate in learning agenda activities and that technical experts provide quality inputs for the learning agenda.
- Coordinate with the Team Leader, Tanager HQ-based Technical Director, and Program Coordinator on a regular basis to discuss program accomplishments, activities, and potential issues.
- Develop annual program reports, outlining progress towards meeting activity deliverables and targets as well as any lessons learned, success stories, and upcoming activities.
- Support the Team Leader in fostering a team culture that promotes a productive, professional, inclusive, and safe working environment that embodies Tanager’s values and strives for shared success, joint accountability, and commitment to achieving project deliverables.
Technical Expertise – Approximately 40%
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of client deliverables and IGNITE tools and resources in nutrition-sensitive agriculture and SBC, based on best practices and global learning. These deliverables may include, but would not be limited to, participatory trainings and workshops, capacity-building tools, case studies, reports and analyses, strategies, and action plans, etc.
- Support identification of local service providers, conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for identified local service providers, and accompany local service providers in providing technical support to IGNITE clients
- Leverage professional networks to draw on best practices and innovative approaches in nutrition-sensitive agriculture, SBC, and gender-integrated nutrition tools, methodologies, and approaches in order to contribute to IGNITE’s efforts to integrate gender, nutrition, and agriculture tools and approaches.
- Create and nurture strong and long-term relationships with IGNITE clients.
- Serve as IGNITE point of contact on select client engagements, shepherding clients through the various phases of an IGNITE engagement and ensuring their needs are addressed at each stage.
- In consultation with the Team Leader, address any concerns and complaints raised by the client on client progress; participate alongside the Team Leader in quarterly client meetings.
- Support the implementation of the IGNITE learning agenda; guide client research discussions and provide insights to frame research within the broader industry discussion on nutrition-sensitive agriculture and SBC.
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- MS. or other post-graduate degree in nutrition, public health, or other relevant technical fieldsaround the nexus of agriculture, nutrition, and gender.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant and progressive work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, in at least 2 different countries; at least 6 years of program management experience and with supervisory responsibilities for technical teams.
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with the following technical areas as they pertain to nutrition-sensitive agriculture:
- Agricultural development, including agricultural market systems and/or value chains, rural production systems, agribusiness
- Gender equality and women’s empowerment, including theoretical frameworks and approaches to gender integration, mainstreaming, and promoting women’s empowerment
- Social and behaviour change approaches, including best practices in SBC and SBC communications, behaviour change frameworks, and integrating behaviour change in inter-disciplinary approaches
- Demonstrated track record in providing technical and managerial leadership on sizable nutrition-sensitive agriculture programs, preferably those with a gender lens.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and effectiveness with strategies for designing, implementing, and evaluating nutrition and gender-inclusive agriculture interventions
- Demonstrated experience building organizational capacity of national- or regional-level institutions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to build relationships and rapport with teams, staff, and clients and navigate challenging or unexpected circumstances with creativity, calm, and positivity. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company on issues that could be complex or sensitive in nature.
- Adaptable and innovative. Collaborative and open to feedback. Able to work independently and in a small team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication, technical, and reporting skills for a high visibility, flagship program.
- Fluency in English, written and oral, required; French language skills strongly desired
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Travel in Sub-Saharan Africa expected 40%
- Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply
To apply please fill in the attached application form, attach your CV and motivation letter and send to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB Friday 24th July 2020. The position will be filled on a rolling basis.