Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
The Director of Compliance and Operations is a senior member of the Tanager management team. The Director will serve as a subject matter expert on a range of issues (compliance, procurement, operations, risk management) and provide strategic and operational guidance on full project life cycle compliance needs, from partnership arrangements, non-disclosure agreements, human resources, and procurement to asset disposition and project close out. The Director will co-lead with the Accounting & Systems Director the design and roll-out of standardized project and corporate-level policies, procedures and systems. Operating in a matrixed environment, the Director of Compliance and Operations will work directly with headquarters and country-based colleagues, as well as liaising with clients, donors, partners and subawardees on contractual matters. The Director will report to the Tanager President.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance on compliance with national level regulatory framework (including registration, taxes, procurement, and labor laws);
- Identify and liaise with competent specialist counsel resources (legal, tax, etc) in all countries where Tanager operates
- Provide guidance on consistent, principled human resources policies and protocols for all country operations
- Clients/donors management: Review, approve and provide guidance on all contractual arrangements with clients/donors; Ensure compliance with various client rules, regulations and reporting requirements; Provide guidance regarding reporting requirements to clients/donors
- Conduct field visits to ensure compliance with regulatory environment and contractual obligations
- Serve as focal point for intra-organizational contractual arrangements with ACDI/VOCA Group
- Oversee procurement throughout organization
- Manage contracting process for large corporate procurements
- Support subcontracting arrangements including developing, negotiating and managing subaward agreements
- Ensure that the procurement process is consistent, systematic, transparent, and compliant
- Establish effective company-wide inventory system
- Provide strong procurement, and compliance advice and support to the Accounting & Systems Director, project staff, and management
Systems development (40%)
- Lead,co-lead or support refinement/development of standardized policies, procedures and systems that ensure operational and programmatic effectiveness, transparency and agility
- Review and standardize human resources policies and practices for Tanager globally
- Build the capacity of staff globally to adhere to all relevant policies, regulations, client contractual requirements, and to promote risk-efficient operations;
- Help refine, develop and/or roll-out project management protocols and tools to ensure that contractual commitments are delivered on time, on target, on budget
- Build risk management framework related to contract management, procurement and other compliance areas
Organizational representation and growth (15%)
- Represent Tanager with relevant government, donor, NGO and other agencies
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with contracting points of contact with current clients and potential partners
- Support new business development and initiatives
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- BA in compliance, contracts or legal studies related field, MA preferred.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience providing compliance and contracts support for a range of clients, including foundations and private sector
- Minimum of four years of experience training/mentoring colleagues
- Demonstrated excellence in oral/written communication with all levels of the organization
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret contractual documents, professional journals, and legal opinions relevant to Tanager’s projects and operations
- Good interpersonal skills to collaborate with teams and effectively communicate with people of different backgrounds and levels of seniority
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and SharePoint
- Ability and willingness to travel to developing countries, as needed
- Ability to perform well under pressure, multi-task, and meet deadlines