Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
The Data and Learning Director leads the development and tracking of metrics to measure Tanager’s progress in achieving its mission and analyzes data to tell the story of the impact our work is having. S/he articulates Tanager’s projects and organizational impact in the context of global frameworks, such as the Sustainable Development Goals, and donor/client frameworks to effectively communicate Tanager’s impact with different audiences. At a project level, s/he supports country offices to develop and implement their monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) frameworks, as well as works closely with Tanager staff & leadership and ACDI/VOCA counterparts, to ensure successful planning, design, and implementation of MEL databases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Support Tanager country offices on development and implementation of MEL frameworks and activities (40%)
- Conduct periodic data quality audits of Tanager project databases
- Support colleagues in developing theories of change and corresponding results frameworks
- Advise project-based MEL experts on design of project baseline and endline surveys, as well as the selection and management of in-country data collection firms
- Collaborate with project MEL experts to create and implement learning plans to drive evidence-based decision making in their activities
Lead Tanager organizational and cross-program learning and analysis (30%)
- Design, implement, and manage select evaluation, research, data, and learning projects for Tanager programs, including cross-project learning and analysis
- Document project learnings and impact to demonstrate Tanager’s contributions to achieving SDGs, ESG metrics, and other relevant industry benchmarks
- Develop corporate metrics to capture the outcomes and impact of Tanager’s work at a global level
- Liaise with Tanager’s Director of Communications and Partnerships to disseminate publications and learnings through Tanager website and at relevant industry events
Design and deploy customized project data solutions within relational databases in Access (20%)
- Design and deploy customized project databases during startup based on MEL framework
- Collaborate with ACDI/VOCA database architects as needed for advanced troubleshooting and configurations
- Training and certification of project-level database administrators
- Support project staff in database management, data modeling, and design of business intelligence dashboards
Organizational representation and growth (10%)
- Represent Tanager with relevant government, donor, NGO and other agencies. Incorporate database solutions and cutting-edge MEL methodologies in new business development efforts
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience, including overseas work, in international development or related field
- Master’s degree required in international development, economics, statistics, econometrics, or other related field
- Demonstrated experience using data science and analytics to measure impact and contributions toward global frameworks, such as the SDGs
- Significant experience deploying data management applications at international level. Proficiency in data modelling and visualization software, web database design, SharePoint/Office 365 web applications, and other relevant software
- Experience developing information management and reporting systems, and managing complex projects
- Understanding of data management practices, accountability, and analysis, including: data collection systems, relational database design, and analysis
- Experience in designing, administering, and drafting operating policies for management information systems
- Strong client relationship management skills and ability to frame data analysis and recommendations tailored to the needs of different audiences
- Ability to identify and build relationships with key decision-makers, having a high degree of contact with other employees, clients, and partners
- Ability to perform well under pressure, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Fluency in English and in at least one other language preferred (French, Spanish, or Hindi)
- Ability to travel internationally
While the requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please apply online at http://www.acdivoca.org/work-with-us/. No phone calls please. Only finalists will be contacted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. EOE/AA. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.