Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Tanager is seeking to recruit a Finance & Administration Manager based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya to be responsible for the implementation of finance, accounting and administration tasks, policies, and procedures for the Kenya country office. The position will be based in Nairobi and reports to the Team Leader. The Finance & Administration Manager will engage with the project work plan, procurement plan, and activities and take the lead and oversight in project accounting, financial, and administration teams’ management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lead and oversee accounting and administrative functions to ensure effective and efficient delivery of activities and services (50%)
- Oversee all financial transactions, including initiating payments and provide guidance to the accountant with transactional inquiries and preparing a schedule of payments for all authorized signatories.
- Review and approve Field Expense Reports Including Exchange rates (FELIX) report monthly before submission by the accountant.
- Review journal entries in the QuickBooks accounting system and ensure that all financial transactions are properly coded per the Tanager chart of accounts.
- Coordinate all finance, accounting, and operations related consultancies to ensure high quality deliverables from consultancies.
- Review monthly staff payroll.
- Oversee administration of human resources with the support of the ACDIVOCA HR Director including coordinating onboarding of new staff to payroll-related aspects – timesheets, pension scheme and other benefits and filing all bio-data information, maintaining all employees’ files [new and exiting staff] with all relevant up to date information, support during the staff exit process by computing final payments (Salary, Severance, leave and 13th month).
- Oversee and manage the finance, procurement and administrative team members including hiring, appraisals, training, coaching, and mentorship.
- Review monthly advance requests for funds from HQ and maintain adequate cash levels in the Tanager Bank Accounts
- Review monthly bank reconciliations.
- Collaborate with the technical team members to understand the timing and details of activities to facilitate logistics and be proactive about upcoming expenses to support timely budgeting.
Support Team Leader in the financial analysis, budgeting, and managing compliance with local regulations (50%)
- Take a leadership role in budget preparation, forecasting, and Internal realignments. Responsible for the accuracy of information and completeness of the budgeting processes.
- Coordinate closely with the technical team members to better understand project activities and their impact on budgets as well as coordinate the procurement and admin team to ensure that the procurement plan aligns to the planned budget expenditure.
- Lead the monthly budget meeting providing detailed analysis of spend and forecasting at least three months in advance in addition to other budget tracking initiatives.
- Lead and manage quarterly procurement/finance meetings and keep the team leader updated on emerging issues.
- Donor reporting; prepare timely and accurate financial reports to the donor. Develop out the financial narrative and budget notes of the various processes.
- Sub award reporting: review subaward financial reports on a quarterly and annual basis. Provide financial analysis of their annual reports during donor reporting to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Notify the Team Leader and/or Tanager management in writing about any concerns, risks or misuse of resources and report any illegitimate expenses, misuse of funds or other false financial claims.
- Keep all Tanager financial information confidential.
- Guarantee compliance with internal controls over receipts & disbursements, timely reporting, cash management & forecasting, budgeting, and financial management.
- Build the capacity of partners, local service providers and other collaborators to enhance the financial reporting systems and structures of their institutions.
- Offer professional judgment on financial matters and advise on ways of improving project performance.
- Take leadership in leading and coordinating statutory and internal audit processes.
- Regularly audit SharePoint and physical files to ensure all support documentation is uploaded and available.
- Ensure Tanager’s compliance with KRA, NGO Board, NSSF, NHIF, HELB, NEA, NITA as per government regulations as well as Tanager’s procurement, travel, and financial policies guiding our operations.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related. A master’s degree is an added advantage.
- CPA(K)/ACCA or equivalent certification
- Over 8 years of relevant work experience in project finance, accounting, and administration preferably in the NGO sector with 5 of those leading and supervising teams of between 5-8 people.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting standards, government of Kenya tax laws and regulations and experience with different donors to ensure compliance.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills; record-keeping and filing systems.
- Strong skills in problem-solving, self-starter and innovative, good communication, leadership and reporting skills
- Excellent command of Excel, QuickBooks, and other relevant accounting applications.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, sound judgment, and leadership skills. Proven ability to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Excellent and proactive oral and written communications skills.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows-based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Professional proficiency in English required. French is an added advantage.
- Prior experience working in small teams that deliver high impact.
To apply please fill in the attached application form, attach your CV and motivation letter and send to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB 15th September 2023. The position will be filled on a rolling basis.