Finance & Accounting Officer (IGNITE)
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our “Growth for Good” tagline encapsulates this, and we offer years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we develop equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity. Tanager is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with national field staff in the countries we serve.
The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE will work with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business. Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Potential clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
Tanager is seeking to recruit a Finance & Accounting Officer based in their office in Nairobi, Kenya to be responsible for the implementation of finance and accounting tasks, policies and procedures for all IGNITE activities. The position will be based in Nairobi and reports to the Team Leader. The Finance & Accounting Officer will engage with the project work plan and activities and take lead in project accounting, payroll processing, support project budgeting, cashflow management, risk management and ensure compliance with all relevant regulations in Kenya.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Execute project and office related accounting functions to ensure effective and efficient delivery of activities and services (75%)
- Perform and oversee all financial transactions and activities
- Prepare and file accounting vouchers (receipt, payment and journal vouchers) and ensure that all supporting documentation is attached as per Tanager policies
- Review payment requests originating from the procurement function ensuring they are authorized as per Tanager requirements
- Initiate bank payments for approved payroll, staff travel/activity advance requests, payment requests and prepare a schedule of payments for the authorized signatory
- Record journal entries in the QuickBooks accounting system and ensure that all financial transactions are properly coded per the Tanager chart of Accounts
- Assist in the annual statutory audit process
- Verify approved timesheets collected before processing payroll and update the accrued leave tracker on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly staff payroll and other Tanager discretionary benefits for local employees, including calculating, withholding and recording all applicable income taxes and other statutory social obligations based on Kenyan tax laws and regulations
Budgeting and Cashflow management
- Liaise with technical staff to prepare monthly advance requests for funds from HQ
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Prepare the monthly field accounting report – FELIX
- Upload monthly accounting vouchers on to Office SharePoint
- Maintain adequate cash levels in the Tanager Bank Accounts
Support Team Leader in the project financial analysis and managing compliance with local regulations (25%)
- Notify the team leader and/or Tanager management in writing about any concerns, risks or misuse of resources and report any illegitimate expenses, misuse of funds or other false financial claims
- Keep all Tanager financial information confidential
- Ensure financial compliance with Kenyan Law, Tanager’s Policies & Donor requirements
- Guarantee compliance with internal controls over receipts & disbursements, timely reporting, cash management & forecasting, budgeting and financial management
- Offer professional judgement on financial matters and advise on ways of improving project performance
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. While the requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- CPA Part 4 /ACCA Level 2 and above or equivalent certification
- 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience in project finance and accounting and preferably in the NGO sector
- Excellent knowledge of accounting standards, government of Kenya tax laws and regulations and experience with different donors to ensure compliance
- Good administrative and organizational skills; record keeping and filling systems
- Good problem solver, self-starter and innovative, good communication, leadership and reporting skills
- A strong command on Excel, QuickBooks and other relevant accounting applications
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven ability to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment
- Excellent and proactive oral and written communications skills
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- Accuracy, attention to detail
- Professional proficiency in English required. French is an added advantage
- Prior experience working on a small accounting team
To apply please fill in this application form (also included below), attach your CV and motivation letter and send to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB 8th May 2019. The position will be filled on a rolling basis.