Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions. IGNITE will work with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business. Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Potential clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
Tanager is seeking a Gender Expert based in West Africa to lead the design and provision of technical services to IGNITE clients. The gender expert will support clients to design, implement, and monitor gender-integrated agriculture activities and business strategies. The Gender Expert will also provide thought leadership on the development of tools and resources that will facilitate the integration of gender into agriculture interventions and institutions’ way of doing business. The Gender Expert will report to the IGNITE Deputy Team Leader.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Support IGNITE clients with the development, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of gender-integrated interventions in agriculture
- Lead the analysis of available desk research and field assessments, as appropriate, to identify gender-specific challenges and opportunities for female social and economic empowerment, particularly in household decision-making, nutrition, and women’s engagement
- Co-create the design and implementation of gender activities that employ intergenerational and male engagement approaches, as well as social and behavior change theory
- Advise on and support development, collection, and analysis of indicators for measuring gender gaps and empowerment; support clients to align their accountability mechanisms and systems to deliver on their gender and nutrition commitments
- Identify and mitigate risks for intended and unintended impacts; support collection of sex- and age-disaggregated data; integrate gender into formative research
Strengthen IGNITE clients’ capacity to integrate gender into their business practices and policies
- Support clients in identifying opportunities to mainstream gender and nutrition at institutional and project level
- Design and conduct participatory training and workshops on gender mainstreaming for clients
- Support clients on development, refinement, alignment, and/or roll-out of policies and procedures to promote gender mainstreaming and equitable business practices
- Develop and pilot capacity building tools and approaches that integrate both gender and nutrition into the design and implementation of agriculture activities
Provide technical thought leadership on identification of effective and efficient models that increase women’s empowerment in agriculture
- Contribute to development of case studies that make the business case for integrating gender into agriculture activities and business plans
- Collaborate with evaluation partners in designing tools and assessments that identify most effective and efficient models for increasing women’s empowerment in agriculture
Support local service providers to expand the reach of IGNITE technical support services
- Support identification of local service providers; conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for identified local service providers; accompany local service providers in providing technical support to IGNITE clients
- Develop and test tools that integrate both gender and nutrition into the design and implementation of agriculture activities
- Create and nurture strong and long-term relationships with IGNITE clients
- Serve as IGNITE point of contact on select client engagements, shepherding clients through the phases of an IGNITE engagement and ensuring their needs are addressed at each stage
- In consultation with the Team Leader, address any concerns and complaints raised by the client
- Liaise with nutrition technical experts to support integration of nutrition sensitive agriculture considerations into client program design
- Maintain the IGNITE client tracker and update the team, including subaward partners, on client progress; participate alongside the Team Leader in quarterly client meetings
Provide thought leadership to Tanager in other gender-integrated agriculture investments
- Contribute technical input into the pursuit and design of gender-integrated agriculture interventions in Tanager’s future new business opportunities
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Master’s/university degree in sociology, anthropology, women’s studies, gender studies, or other related discipline
- Minimum of 8 years’ work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa in mainstreaming gender equity into food security, nutrition, or agriculture programs; including a minimum of 5 years’ experience facilitating training on gender mainstreaming in agriculture designing and leading gender analysis and/or gender audits, providing gender technical support to government and/or private sector clients; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in designing and implementing tools and approaches to support government and private sector institutions in integrating gender in their agriculture work
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proven successful ability to conduct in-depth gender analyses, including leading research teams, facilitating focus groups, and conducting interviews.
- Proven ability to successfully design and facilitate participatory training and workshops.
- Demonstrated experience in offering technical assistance or advisory services in the agriculture sector and with a focus on gender mainstreaming
- Demonstrated ability to develop evidence-based recommendations and interventions to promote gender equity and women’s empowerment.
- Excellent understanding of global and continental commitment mechanisms for gender and nutrition in agriculture for stakeholders like governments and private sector; ability to design technical assistance that enhances accountability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
- Understanding of nutrition-sensitive agriculture concepts in Africa and ability to integrate a nutrition-sensitive lens into gender approaches.
- Experience working with agricultural market systems, rural producers, farmers’ associations, agribusinesses, private sector agricultural production, marketing, or sales, and/or governments. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to build relationships and rapport with teams, staff, and clients and navigate challenging or unexpected circumstances with creativity, calm, and positivity. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company on issues that could be complex or sensitive in nature.
- Excellent client relationship management skills.
- Adaptable and innovative. Collaborative and open to feedback. Able to work independently and in a team setting.
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to gather and analyze a variety of information pertaining to issues and to develop appropriate recommendations for action.
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Fluency in French and English, written and oral, is required..
- Travel in West Africa is expected 40%.
- Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply please download and fill in this application form (also included below in both Word and PDF), attach your CV and motivation letter (PDF version please) and send to KenyaRecruitment@tanagerintl.org by COB 15th of February, 2021. The position will be filled on a rolling basis. All documents should be submitted in English.