Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Tanager is implementing two programs with a focus on gender mainstreaming and nutrition integration. The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE works with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions. IGNITE will also strengthen the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business. Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE will identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions. IGNITE activities will be targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Current project clients include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
The African Poultry Multiplication Initiative (APMI) is a two-year investment with the primary objective to provide technical assistance (TA) to three APMI poultry companies to reach APMI’s goals of increasing women’s access to poultry production resources and increasing consumption of chicken and eggs by rural communities in Nigeria and Tanzania. Tanager works with the poultry companies to help them understand the value of gender and nutrition integration, as well as helping them design messages or outreach strategies that will allow them to reach their objectives.
To broaden and deepen our support in these four countries, Tanager seeks to cultivate a network of local service providers (LSPs). These LSPs will work with IGNITE from 2021-2023 to support nutrition and gender integration in agriculture institutions and programs using the learning, models, and tools developed under IGNITE.
Tanager is seeking an exceptional individual for the position of Institutional Capacity Building Manager – Local Service Provider with experience in technical capacity building and program coordination. This position will be based in the Tanager office in Nairobi, Kenya, and will report to the Team Leader. This position will manage the delivery of services by local service providers to IGNITE clients in close coordination with the technical experts; the Institutional Capacity Building Manager – Local Service Provider will also be responsible for coordinating identification, contracting, onboarding and capacity building of the local service providers to ensure they are equipped to deliver IGNITE services. Over the long term the Institutional Capacity Building Manager – Local Service Provider will ensure that LSPs have the ability to continue providing gender and nutrition technical support to clients within the agriculture sector in their respective countries.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Identification and recruitment of local service providers (15%)
- Provide guidance in the identification, scouting and recruitment of potential local service providers in the four IGNITE focus countries.
- Lead the development of request for proposals, templates for review of proposals, case studies and technical interviews to identify potential local service providers.
- Lead and coordinate the technical experts through the screening process for LSPs.
- Work with the procurement officer to coordinate contracting of identified local service providers.
Onboarding and institutional capacity building of LSPs (25%)
- Coordinate the planning and execution of the initial IGNITE onboarding for contracted local service providers with the project assistant and technical team.
- Lead in the design and delivery of the onboarding sessions including facilitation, content creation and sharing all necessary start up resources after onboarding.
- In consultation with each LSP and IGNITE technical team, lead the identification, design and delivery of tailored institutional capacity for the LSPs based on technical capacity areas of demand by IGNITE clients. This is to ensure that the LSP are well equipped to meet the needs of IGNITE and IGNITE clients.
Coordinating and managing demand, delivery, quality assurance of LSP support to IGNITE clients (60%)
- Coordinate with the technical experts to generate and maintain a pipeline of demand for LSP to deliver technical support to IGNITE clients.
- Coordinate matching demand and LSP workflow to ensure LSPs deliver on time, on target and on budget.
- In collaboration with the deputy team leader, coordinate quality assurance of all LSP deliverables to ensure high quality deliverables and client satisfaction with the service provision by the LSPs.
- Work with the Team Leader and Project Manager to define and execute a sustainable transition plan and business model for IGNITE type of services with LSPs.
- Coordinate learning and networking among local service providers.
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, development economics, gender studies, nutrition. project management or other relevant field required, Master’s preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience managing technical capacity building programs in the Agriculture, Gender, Nutrition, Food security sectors in Sub Saharan Africa. 5 years’ of this experience would be in developing capacity building plans, facilitating training on gender mainstreaming/nutrition integration in agriculture, providing technical support to government and/or private sector clients; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in designing and implementing tools and approaches to support government and private sector institutions in integrating gender and/or in their agriculture work
- Proven ability to successfully design and facilitate participatory training and workshops.
- Demonstrated experience in offering technical assistance or advisory services in the agriculture sector.
- Excellent understanding of global and continental commitment mechanisms for gender and nutrition in agriculture for stakeholders like governments and private sector; ability to design technical assistance that enhances accountability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social and behavior change communication theory and techniques.
- Experience working with agricultural market systems, rural producers, farmers’ associations, agribusinesses, private sector agricultural production, marketing, or sales, and/or governments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to build relationships and rapport with teams, staff, and clients and navigate challenging or unexpected circumstances with creativity, calm, and positivity. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company on issues that could be complex or sensitive in nature.
- Excellent client relationship management skills.
- Adaptable and innovative. Collaborative and open to feedback. Able to work independently and in a team setting.
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to gather and analyze a variety of information pertaining to issues and to develop appropriate recommendations for action.
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Fluency in English and French, written and oral, required.
- Travel in Sub-Saharan Africa expected 40%.
- Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply.