Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
In India, Farmer Producer Organizations hold enormous opportunity to alleviate poverty and improve gender equity in smallholder farming communities. Although the Government of Odisha has established agricultural policies that create opportunities for FPOs to achieve profitability and sustainability, FPOs are very nascent in the state and lack the capacity to operate effectively in the FPO ecosystem.
Through the PSFPO project, Tanager will support the Government of Odisha to roll out its FPO policy. Tanager will work to build an inclusive, collaborative ecosystem through the application of integrated strategies targeting both the enabling environment and FPOs directly. The approach will serve as a replicable model to scale up the effectiveness of FPOs as viable economic actors in that ecosystem.
The Tanager Project Accountant is responsible for a broad range of accounting roles/tasks including but not limited to project accounting voucher/support package preparation, coordination with program staff for budgeting and advance alignment, and maintaining electronic accounting files. This position reports directly to the Finance Manager. The Project Accountant is an integral part of a small and agile accounting team. This team member must work collaboratively in an organization that requires each team member to work on a variety of tasks, be proactive, and complete deliverables in a timely manner, and work independently on his/her responsibilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Correct account coding and subclass assignment of all expenses for vouchers
- Preparation of complete supporting package for each transaction
- Circulation of voucher package for signature to the correct parties
- Timely review and processing of the project’s TGERs
- Entry of the voucher/TGER into QuickBooks
- Review/Upload of voucher package to SharePoint
- Coordinate with PSFPO Program Team for corporate monthly/travel advance(s)
- Manage PSFPO A/P
- Manage PSFPO employee A/R
- Collaboration with the PSFPO Program Team for budgeting/tracking
Monthly Corporate Reporting
- Preparation / Submission of initial report draft
- Incorporate review feedback on the initial draft
- Coordinate with all relevant parties to have the report finalized
- Maintain all reporting files on SharePoint
Audits and Reporting
- Lead PSFPO donor reporting
- Support country, corporate, and project specific audits as needed
- Support project/portfolio reporting as needed.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce and accounting
- Minimum 5 years of experience in accounting/bookkeeping
- Minimum 2 years routinely working with Microsoft Excel in a professional role
- Certification in accounting software, working knowledge of QuickBooks preferred
- High proficiency in written and spoken English and Odia language required
- Proven ability to communicate and coordinate with several departments of an organization
To apply please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 10th, 2021.