Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Tanager brings the right people to the table in India, from smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone along the supply chain, to improve the productivity and profitability of Indian farmers and strengthen sustainable supply chains. We combine technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools in collaboration with market leaders such as Mars Wrigley Confectionary, Walmart, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the UNDP, and thought leaders such as the Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), NABARD, and the Sustainable Food Lab. We help farmers to increase their incomes through the supply of quality production to higher value markets. We also solve complex agricultural problems to create value for farmers and other members of the supply chain.
Tanager is seeking talented professionals for the Extension-Marketing Officer position, for an anticipated project based in Telangana. The Extension-Marketing Officer will be responsible for the assigned geography within a particular district in Telangana. He/ She will be required to work with farmers belonging to PACs (Primary Agriculture Co-operatives) and FPOs (Farmer Producer Organizations) to a) register them on the Digital platform b) on board their harvest data and c) get them to transact through a well-developed digital platform from a leading Multinational company. Targets with deadlines for each of the above KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) will be assigned. He/ She will have a team of CRPs (Community Resource Persons) to support in the fulfillment of the targets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and Management of CRP’s
- Identify blocks within the assigned geography of the district. These blocks will further require a breakdown of the villages, FPO’s and PAC
- For each PAC and FPO assigned, identify potential CRPs based on the CRP-JD (Job description)
- Co-ordinate with the Admin Associate to provide requisite documentation on the potential CRP
- Coordinate with Admin associate to “on board” in a timely manner, planned number of CRPs for each month.
- Manage the CRPs on daily basis to ensure productivity aligned with the overall KPI’s
- Set targets for each CRP, based on the KPI’s provided.
- Review performance of each CRP on monthly basis and report in assigned format to Program Manager
- Coordinate with Admin Associate for timely reimbursement of CRP monthly reimbursements (fuel, phone data)
Registration of farmers:
- Work with the assigned PACs and FPOs to register their farmers and provide a “Digital Identity” to each farmer on to the Digital Platform.
- Ensure accuracy of data uploaded
- Assist the MEL associate in Rapid Baseline Survey for the assigned geography.
On Boarding farmers:
- Support and guide the CRPs in identifying villages (covering the assigned PACs and FPOs) and farmer mobilization for the FGDs (Farmer Group Discussions)
- Develop in coordination with the MEL associate the FGD agenda and outcomes.
- Support & guide the CRPs in conducting FGDs in a) creating awareness about the Digital Platform, explain the benefits of transacting digitally b) collect Farmer harvest data for current crop, including output expected, input need and credit requirements c) identify and list the progressive farmers who can be early adopters for transacting digitally.
- Actively engage with BODs (Board of Directors) of the assigned PACs and FPOs and keep them updated on the progress of the project.
- Actively engage with the progressive farmers listed during “on boarding” and facilitate order placement and fulfillment to the satisfaction of the farmer. All transactions through the digital platform.
- Order fulfillment may require facilitation on aggregation, logistics, payment and other elements of supply chain.
- Provide post order fulfillment service as and when required by the farmer.
- Assist Program Manager in identifying and on boarding on the Digital Platform, potential produce buyers and input sellers active locally in assigned geography.
- Provide list of progressive farmers identified as above during FGDs
- Provide weekly performance data against assigned KPIs
- Participate in weekly meetings
- Participating in other project activities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Graduate in the Field of Agriculture.
- Minimum 2 Years of experience in agriculture extension and marketing services of agriculture products.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Internet, Online Form Filling
- Good interpersonal skills
- Basic knowledge of English and good knowledge of Regional Language (Telugu)
- Willing to learn and adapt to the environment.
- Must be Indian citizen
Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 18, 2023. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of the Email. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Tanager is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.