Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Tanager brings the right people to the table in India, from smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone along the supply chain, to improve the productivity and profitability of Indian farmers and strengthen sustainable supply chains. We combine technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools in collaboration with market leaders such as Mars Wrigley Confectionary, Walmart, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the UNDP, and thought leaders such as the Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), NABARD, and the Sustainable Food Lab. We help farmers to increase their incomes through the supply of quality production to higher value markets. We also solve complex agricultural problems to create value for farmers and other members of the supply chain.
Tanager is seeking talented professionals for the Program Manager position, for an anticipated project based in Telangana. The Program Manager will be responsible for overall management of the assigned project by overseeing efficient implementation of all project activities in accordance with the project proposal to realize the project goals & objectives. Quantitative KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) will include managing the project team in achieving the target numbers on the Digital Platform. The key focus area would include capacity building & motivation of the team members, budget management, monitoring of project activities, developing and strengthening linkages with private enterprise and convergence with the Govt. departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To develop, oversee and review project strategy and activities related to the implementation of the project according to the project proposal
- Assemble a support team for field implementation of various project activities and achieving KPIs
- Develop, maintain and adapt project work plans along with other Tanager India team members and Tanager Headquarters staff based on proposals, contracts, and project implementation results
- Ensure project deliverables are developed and submitted in time as per Project requirements
- Develop and share periodical progress reports and communications inputs as agreed with Supervisor
- Review and approve timesheet, travel authorization, TGER, leave request and advance.
- Periodic motivation and team building exercises to enhance employee performance in coordination with HR & Admin.
Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Develop in coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) department, an M&E system to measure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the project and ensure quality and timely data collection, interpretation and reporting.
- The M&E system should also include baseline, mid-line and end-line surveys in line with the project requirement for the purpose of developing appropriate project strategy, mid-line correction and impact assessment
- Conduct and lead in weekly meetings for performance review and setting the tone for the following week.
- Participate in HO and HQ meetings, as and when called
- Participate in meetings with Project Partners, as and when called.
Networking & Linkages:
- Establish and maintain linkages with key stakeholders in Telangana for smooth project implementation and achieving Project Goals.
- This will include the Government, Private sector enterprises, assigned PACs (Primary Agriculture Cooperatives), FPOs( Farmer Produce Organizations), community organizations, etc.
- Participation in relevant workshops for a) reporting impact of the Project and b) networking leading to building capacity for more effective Project Implementation as well as tapping into new business opportunities.
Field Operations Management:
- Streamline financial management of the respective project and monitor contracts, budgets and projections to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget lines
- Prepare and review monthly financial, project reporting and advance requests before submission of Tanager India Felix.
- Invoice funders and project partners as stipulated in terms of payment
Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Education and Experience
- MBA – Rural Development, Master’s in social work / Agriculture
- Minimum 8 Years of experience in project handling
- working experience in an international NGO preferred
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated leadership of a gender-balanced and ethnically inclusive professional environment.
- Knowledge of donor-funded project management is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, strong negotiation, diplomacy, and teamwork skills.
- Proven management skills in complex environments, with a large staff from variety of ethnic backgrounds.
- Must be willing and able to travel independently, including to project sites as needed.
- Good knowledge of English and preferably basic knowledge of regional language (Telugu)
- Good Computer knowledge.
- Willing to learn and adapt to the environment.
- Must be Indian citizen.
Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 18, 2023. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of the Email. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Tanager is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.