Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition, and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
People & Values
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it. We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other. We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations, and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes, and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
The Project Coordinator serves a vital support role for the team and will work with US-based and international staff on all aspects of the business including project management and implementation, proposal development, procurement facilitation as well as review, and corporate initiatives. As a networked team, the Project Coordinator will work with multiple staff members and be expected to support and navigate a dynamic and quick-paced work environment that requires flexibility, discernment, and a sense of humor. The Project Coordinator will report to the Senior Director, Gender and Social Inclusion Programs. Fluency in English and a strong professional proficiency in French is required for this role. Tanager is a flexible organization and we have a hybrid telework arrangement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support — both operationally and technically where relevant — programs in Tanager’s portfolio, including but not limited to providing input and review in workplans, results tracking, budget processes, and annual reports to the donor
- Contribute to strong donor relations on relevant projects by participating in meetings and strategic discussions with donor
- Provide management, operations, and technical support to project Team Leader
- Review procurement documentation and ensure compliance with corporate procurement guidance and protocol
- Review payment requests for goods and services
- Prepare, submit, and review expense reports and travel advances of staff and consultants
- Oversee coordination of on-site and offsite project-related trainings and meetings (including air travel, hotel accommodations, local transport, catering, etc.)
- Lead preparation and review of internal and external reports
- Assist in compiling, editing, and distributing project updates for Tanager’s board book submission(s)
- Support maintenance of project budgets alongside projects’ finance and technical teams.
- Provide technical writing, formatting and editing support for final deliverables, reports, and communication materials to clients, donors, and external partners
- Support and or facilitate recruitment efforts for project staff hiring (including sourcing CVs, reviewing CVs, interviewing candidates, creating technical assessments, scoring technical assessments, etc.)
- Introduce new initiatives and processes to efficiently and effectively complete tasks/deliverables
- Coordinate logistics for HQ-based events
- Participate in corporate initiative brainstorming, feedback sessions, and or rollout (for example, Tanager’s Procurement Manual)
- Support Tanager’s SharePoint rollout (including building project sites, updating resource pages, ensuring that Tanager’s SharePoint is easy to navigate, administering specific onboarding sessions focused on SharePoint navigation)
- Provide technical and operational assistance to proposal teams; examples include editing, providing technical and operations-related input
- Develop elements of the proposal budget and or technical narrative
- Coordinate proposal efforts across the organization at large to streamline proposal submission
- Liase with Tanager’s affiliates (ACDI/VOCA and AV Ventures) to obtain information that impact proposal creation and or submission
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to attend in person meetings when required
- Support and enhance the company’s culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and align with our corporate values by treating others with respect and congeniality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in international development, agriculture, economics, or other related field
- Demonstrated interest in international development topics and current issues; relevant educational, volunteer, or work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly Francophone West Africa, is preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience directly supporting international development projects
- Adaptable, innovative, and driven by a sense of shared success; able to work independently and in a team setting
- Ability to successfully interact and work with all levels of the organization, clients, and donors in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner
- Demonstrated editing and formatting experience preferred
- Ability to clearly communicate with others in a team setting
- Fluency in English required. Strong professional proficiency in French is also required.
- Ability to communicate to management in a professional manner
- Detail oriented and self-directed
- Ability to proactively problem solve
- Must be available during core business hours and/or operating hours for international time differences; flexibility to work more hours when needed
- Flexibility to work in office based on work demands
- Must adhere to our company’s Health Safety Code of Conduct; fully vaccinated against Covid 19 or receive approved exception